|Are you a parent or guardian who is concerned about your son or daughter?
Do you think your child might benefit from additional support?
Are you a teen or young adult looking for someone impartial to talk to?
There are countless stressors involved with being a young person today. Some of the issues they face include:
- Social pressures (to fit in or to stand out)
- Peer relationships
- Family relationships (including foster families, blended families, extended families, etc.)
- Identity issues (such as self-esteem, ethnic identity, sexual identity, etc.)
- Stress management and anxiety
- Depression and suicidal ideation
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- Anger management
- Life changes (for example: moving, job loss, illness, death, divorce, pregnancy, etc.)
- Traumatic experiences (such as violence, sexual assault, etc.)
Parents and guardians are often unsure about when to seek outside help. Have you noticed recent changes in your child’s behavior, or any of the following:
- Withdrawal and isolation
- Aggression and/or antisocial behavior
- Problems with or changes in sleeping and/or eating patterns
- Substance use
- Loss of interest in activities and/or relationships
- Overachievement and/or perfectionism
- Dramatic mood changes
- Increasing defiance
- Failing grades and/or school truancy
- Risk-taking behaviors (such as theft, vandalism, etc.)
Young people often feel powerless and misunderstood. I strive to create a safe and respectful environment in which they can explore their stressors and learn adaptive coping skills. A main focus of psychotherapy with children and adolescents is to enhance self-awareness and self-esteem, which in turn empowers them to make more positive choices.
Similarly, parents and guardians often feel helpless and confused about how they can help. I offer parenting skills education and family sessions in order to facilitate communication, problem-solving, and increased family support. When expectations are clear and each family member feels more confident, the entire family will be better equipped to move toward a more positive future. Whether you are interested in psychotherapeutic services for yourself, your child, and/or your family, please call to set up a consultation today.